The Alcázar (fortress) was constructed in 1328, the year in which King Alfonso XI joined this construction to another one called “Alcázar del Rey” (Fortress of the King). It is known that in 1313, some monks of the Convent of the Augustinians were established here, and in 1328 they would be moved to the Church of Saint Augustine.
There is a previous fortress called the Caliphal Alcázar or Umayyad Alcázar, of which only a few traces remain, including the caliphal baths which have been converted into a museum.
It was built on these previous foundations, in a historical integration of cultures that forms part of the very essence of Cordoba.
To this architectural framework are added elements that continuously give life to the Alcázar of Cordoba: new uses of the space, the gardens, the water flowing throughout.
Alfonso XI designed a square-shaped fortress with towers in each of its four corners. Inside the fortress would be the central patio and different rooms arranged around it, which became a royal residence from then on. In the gardens, the Paseo de los Reyes (Promenade of Kings) exhibits representations of all those who have lived in this residence, from Alfonso XI up to the Catholic Kings Isabel and Fernando.
In the second half of the 15th century, the city of Cordoba entered into military control under the Crown of Castile. In 1482, the Catholic Kings relinquished the fortified complex to the Holy Office, which installed the Inquisition Court.
In 1821, the City Council became the new owner of the Alcázar, and it was used as a public jail. From the 50s, the City Council has reformed the premises, celebrating municipal ceremonies and civil weddings in its rooms.